It has been a strange kind of day and a lovely combination of stress headache and pinched nerve in my shoulder have left me quite sedentary today and that always leads to thoughts far deeper than I planned on contemplating . But, here goes:
The very nature of our relationships with the people closest to us is probably something that shouldn’t be over analyzed but I did it anyway. After long deep consideration I have discovered something. I have been married for more than twenty years, which is a time span greater than the amount of my life I was single. She has been in my life as a friend since I was 15 years old. That amount of time results in us just presuming certain things. I have come to conclude that some of those presumptions are not always completely accurate. So here’s today’s “the things I have learned” and they are very simple. I don’t love my wife. Here is why:
- Love is selfish but Like is generous.
- Love says “I cannot live without you” but Like says “I could but I choose to live with you”
- Love gets tired but Like is always as wired as a 5 Hour Energy washed down with a Monster
- Love buys you fancy lingerie but Like thinks you look sexy in sweatpants and a t-shirt
- Love is going out on a Friday night but Like enjoys spending a Tuesday night together
- Love remembers your very first kiss but Like thinks every kiss feels like that very first one.
- Love talks of “in sickness and in health” but Like brings you NyQuil and chicken soup when you are ill.
- Love takes you out to the finest restaurant in town but Like makes you dinner and cleans up the kitchen afterwards.
- Love treats you like a queen but Like treats you like a partner.
- Love is amazed by what you have done but Like is impressed by the things you will do.
- Love applauds your strengths but Like helps you with your weaknesses.
- Love is forever but Like is timeless.
- Love says “I’m Sorry” but Like vows to never make the same mistakes again.
- Love buys you jewelry for Christmas but Like goes and gets you ice cream at eleven o’clock at night.
- Love consoles you when you are sad but Like cries along with you.
- Love is roses on Valentines day but Like is a daisy on a random Thursday
- Love never wants to be alone but Like knows that distance has no bearing on how you feel.
- Love is a compulsion but Like is a choice.
- Love says “God bless you” when you sneeze but Like brings you a tissue.
- Love is with you constantly but Like gives you the space you need.
- Love writes you poems but Like tells you jokes.
- Love takes you out for a night on the town but Like comes and picks you up when you are too drunk to drive home.
- Love says,” Be my lover” but Like says,”Be my friend”
- Love believes but Like knows.
I don’t love my wife and I hope she doesn’t love me but we sure are in Like.